PODCAST # 5: CUNARD’S QE2 (QUEEN ELIZABETH 2)
RSS feed to subscribe to the podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/co/CHnQ
- use this link and add it to your podcast agent.
- If using iTunes, use the one-click link on the right hand column or cut and paste the link shown here into ADVANCED and SUBSCRIBE TO PODCAST in the tables on iTunes
Add them in the COMMENTS link at the bottom of this entry or EMAIL ME
PODCAST # 5: Cunard’s QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2)
This week’s podcast is all about the famous (or is it infamous?) QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2) ocean liner. The review is based on the Trans-Atlantic crossing from Southampton (UK) to New York that I went on in the wilds of winter in December 2004.
And it was certainly wild.
Crossing the Atlantic in mid-winter is not for the faint hearted (or those with poor sea-legs). But it is – and was – one of the most exciting and wonderful trips I have ever done.
Part of this is because you are really being a part of history, as the ship no longer does regular trans-Atlantic crossings (that is the job of the newer Queen Mary 2), part of it is because generally few ships do a winter Atlantic crossing as the seas are too rough for the average punter and thirdly this ship has been around since the late 1960s and is working out her final years with style and grace. So you really are quite simply taking part in what is a historical journey.
This ship is the longest serving Cunard ship in its history. An impressive feat when you know how old the Cunard line has been running!
In the podcast we look at the following things:
- Short history of the Cunard Line
- Short history and fun facts about the QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2)
- My thoughts about the QE2 based on the Trans-Atlantic Winter Crossing in December 2004
- Another travel podcast (Home Travel Agent Podcast) (Link in the right hand column)
LINKS AND STUFF
My Pre and During Cruise Blog
These pages cover in some detail the run up to and details of the crossing itself
My Review of the QE2 Crossing
My Photos of the QE2 (Zillions of them..!)
Video 3: Pools on stern of ship with water sloshing about due to movement of the ship
My Reviews of books about Cunard / QE2
My Reviews of Videos/ DVDs about Cunard/ QE2
My Cunard/ QE2 Brochure Collection (Got any I am missing? email me!)
- The official site selling Cunard posters etc
Expert and Passenger Reviews of the Ship
- Cruisecritic (where you can also read my review!)
BBC “On This Day” – launch of the QE2
- Read all about the day the QE2 was launched in 1967 – and see the video of the naming and launch!
- Click here
Wilipedia (online encyclopaedia – which is excellent by the way!)
- Entry on QE2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Elizabeth_2
- Entry on Cunard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Steamship_Lines
- QE2.ORG.UK: http://www.qe2.org.uk/index.html
- GREATOCEANLINERS.NET: http://www.greatoceanliners.net/qe2.html
- ROB’S QE2 SITE: http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/index.htm
- CUNARDSHIPS.ORG: http://www.cunardships.org
Best Community / Message Boards on Cunard
http://boards.cruisecritic.com (Click on the Cunard Message Board – VERY active and very helpful boards)