Gary Bembridge of Tips for Travellers shares observations, tips and advice for visitors to Brisbane in Australia.
This show covers among other topics:
- 3rd largest city in Australia – over 2 million people – growing fast and projecting may overtake Melbourne – capital of Queensland.
- Attractive city set around the curves of Brisbane River named after Sir Thomas Brisbane Governer of NSW in 1820s.
- Compact and easy to get around with good transport infrastructure both road and on river – easily walkable.
- Mix of modern glass buildings and grand old buildings like City Hall – Post Office – Treasury building (now a casino).
- Lots of greenery and shade about – even the roads in the CBD has trees along both sides creating cover and playgrounds have covered play areas .
- About hour drive to beaches and theme parks of Gold Coast.
- Prone to major flooding at various times over history – big one 1974 – most recent in 2011 when CBD and suburbs badly affected.
- Created to support the penal colony close by.
- Growing fast for as commercial centre : mineral and agriculture resources , financial services , technology – busy port handling exports of things like grain, coal.
- In WWII General MacArthur commanded to Pacific war effort from here for a time.
- Hosted 1982 Commonwealth Games, World Expo 88
Good airline connections within Australia and to parts of Asia
Cruise lines – big ships dock quite way from the city (30-45 mins transfer)
Best time to go
Summer : Dec – Feb
Winter: Jun – Aug
Bus – tickets by zone
Rail – to suburbs
River – free and pay for services
Bike hire scheme (blue bikes)
Green tricycle taxis
- Get information booklets from tourist information offices – free Brisbane Insider Guid.
- Brisbane Greeter Service – 100 volunteers – 20 languages – two options (refer to information leaflet) – greeter’s choice or your choice – free
- Hop-on Hop-off bus.
Things to do
- Free red City Hopper – every 30 minutes – takes about 1.5 hours.
- CityCat service – big catamarans go much further up and down river
- Mississippi style paddle streamer – Kookaburra River Queens
- Jet Ski or kayak
- River City Cruises- 1,5 trip with commentary by Captain
South Bank Parklands
42-acre development on site of 1988 World Expo – very busy at weekends with locals to hang out- includes
The Beach – Aquativity water park
Wheel of Brisbane – 12 to 15 minute ride in aircon enclosed cabin
Queensland performing arts centre
Queensland museum & science centre
Queensland Art gallery
State library of Queesnsland
Gallery of Modern Art
Convention & Exhibition centre
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
1927 – worlds first koala sanctuary – 130 koala and 90 other Aussie species – 11km away
Panoramic view from Mount Coot-tha – 8km outside city
Botanical garden – established 1824 as fruit & vegetable garden for nearby Moreton Bay penal settlement – 20 hectares flowers trees
Story Bridge Climb
ANZAC square memorial
Queens street pedestrian mall – over 600 shops on 1 km
Gold Coast day trip
Check out this episode!