In this episode Gary Bembridge of TipsForTravellers.com, provides a historical overview, need-to-know facts as well as inspiration, advice and tips for visiting Hiroshima in Japan. The city is best known as the city that the first atomic bomb was dropped on by the United States at 8:15 on 6 August 1945. While this is a focus for tourists visiting there is much more to see in this pretty city.
The podcast covers the following must-see and must-do sights:
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, including the damaged Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall (closest surviving building to the epicentre) known as the “Atomic Dome” and Museum.
- Hiroshima-jo Castle.
- Museums including:
- Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum (1968)
- Hiroshima Museum of Art opened (1978)
- Hiroshima City Museum of Modern Art (1989)
- Mazda Museum
- Hiroshima City Transport Museum
- JMSDF (Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force) Kure Museum
- The Kure Maritime Museum (The Yamato Museum)
- Shukkei-en Gardens.
- Bullet train to Kintai Bridge at Shin Iwakuni.
- DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Japan (USA Listeners) (UK Listeners)
- Official Visit Hiroshima Visitor Site: http://visithiroshima.net
- Visit Miyajima Site: http://visit-miyajima-japan.com/en/
- Hiroshima Electric Railway: http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/index.html
- My photographs of Hiroshima
- After listening to the podcast and have any thoughts please leave a comment on Tipsfortravellers.com/podcast, email me or leave a review on iTunes.
- Please subscribe (and leave a review) to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher or TuneIn Radio.
- Want to support the podcast? Consider becoming a Patron. Find out more at tipsfortravellers.com/patron