Gary Bembridge of Tips for Travellers shares observations, tips and advice for visitors to Pattaya in Thailand.
This show covers among other topics:
- Best known as inexpensive Thailand holiday resort especially popular on package holidays, day trip from Bangkok and cruise line passengers docking at Laem Chabang nearby.
- Also known for late nights of partying, drink and sex. Also renown for large lady boy population and shows
Was a small remote fishing village until the Vietnam war when in 1959 a boat load of US soldiers taken there for some R&R and had great time and more and more came .
- Simple layout with main road called Pattaya Road along beachfront and parallel road called Pattaya Second Road with small roads and lanes connecting – jammed full of hotels, bars , shops.
- Bart open sided taxi/ bus which you hail and take you to want to go.
- Taxis plentiful but watch out as don’t switch on meters so ensure agree a price.
- Motorbike hire
Things to do
Three main sections along the beach front
Nakula Bay – more family orientated (north).
Central – busiest and most popular swimming area.
South near Walking Street (bars and focus of night life)
Swimming areas marked by plastic barriers – densely packed deck chairs and umbrella sections next to them
Water sports – paragliding – jet ski – banana boats
Constant flow of vendors
Pattaya Floating market
Various sections reflecting different regions of Thailand – 114 shops and lots of vendors – can hire boats to go from section to section
Sanctuary of Truth
Huge wooden Castle / Temple covered with carved sculptures depicting heaven and earth – 344 feet high covers area of 21,520 square feet
Nong Nuch tropical gardens
600 acre landscaped park – biggest botanical park in SE Asia – tropical plants (orchids, palms , cycads , cacti , bonsai), various cultural shows (folk dances from regions of Thailand ) and also an elephant performance show
Pairaj Elephant Village
Retirement village for working elephants
Sea Turtle Conservation Centre
Lady Boy shows
Teddy Bear museum
Museum of Bottle Art
Ripley’s believe it or not
Underwater World Aquarium
Lots of cheap souvenirs
Lots of fakes so watch out
Central Festival Shopping Mall