In another episode of 60-Second Cruise Tips, Gary Bembridge, author of “The Cruise Traveler’s Handbook“, “Essential Cruise Tips” and “River Cruising Essential Tips and Tricks” shares another cruise tip. This time it is:
Cruise line Excursions
If you only consider the shore excursions sold by your cruise line you may be missing out on saving money and discovering exciting alternatives by using independent providers. There are a number of large companies, including ShoreTrips.com and Viator.com, that offer comprehensive programs alongside those for sale on board.
You need to make the final choice on which is right for you. The following are some reasons for going with cruise line excursions:
- They have run the tours many times and know passengers like you enjoy them.
- They have validated and verified the quality and reliability of the operator and guides.
- It is convenient and easy to book online through the cruise line’s site before the voyage or on board.
- You can apply any on-board credits you have against the cost.
- A crew member escorts the tour, in addition to the guide, for added security and reassurance in the event of issues.
- The ship guarantees to wait for your return even if it is delayed or late getting back to the ship.
In my experience, most passengers book cruise line tours as it is the simple and easy option. However, always take a look at what independent providers are offering in your ports as you may find something that is more adventurous, unique and cheaper too.
Listen to the next episode to find out more.