Watch my tips for traveller’s video tour of Swan Hellenic Minerva Cruise Ship
The 60 year old Swan Hellenic Cruise line flagship is the Minerva. It offers small ship cruising, holding a maximum of only 350 passengers. From the moment you step on-board, you enter a ship with a definite traditional English Country House inspired decor and style.
In 2012, the ship went through a major refit.
The following are some of the main features and aspects of the ship worth noting that I explore in the video tour:
- The panoramic Orpheus Lounge was one of the major, and most popular additions. This large lounge and dance room is forward on the Promenade Deck at the top of the ship. It has windows on 3 sides to now allow guests to watch departures, arrivals and relax on days at sea with views on three sides.
- Another popular bar is the Wheeler Bar. Hosting a model of the original Swan Hellenic ship, this bar really reflects the English Country House style. Drinks, teas and coffees are served through the day and evening.
- The Shackleton Bar is another feature of the 2012 refit. This horseshoe shaped room is more popular in the evening for pre and post dinner drinks when live music is performed.
- An important room on Minerva is the Darwin Lounge. It hosts lectures by the 3 or 4 speakers on-board every cruise covering art, history, architecture and current affairs. It also hosts movies, live music and theatre performances and quizzes.
- The other explorer named room is the Livingstone Lounge. This hosts the smaller workshops, meetings and activities.
- There are 2 main dining venues on-board.
- The Swan is the main restaurant. It has open seat dining at all times to encourage guests to mix. Something that is especially welcomed by the many solo guests that travel with the cruise line.
- The Verandah is the self service restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Unlike many cruise lines, this self service restaurant has tables laid with linen, crockery and glasses to create a more refined experience.
- In terms of amenities and facilities:
- the Minerva has a limited shopping in the form of a Gift Shop only.
- It has an enormous library. It stretches along the Bridge Deck and is stocked with 1,000s of books and magazines.
- The refit added an internet lounge, although there is wi-fi through the ship now as well.
- A large card lounge completes the collection of facilities on the Bridge deck.
- The 2012 refit also focused on the deck space and facilities. There are large expanses of decks at the top of the ship on the Promenade Deck. Towards the rear of the ship are the more recent developments. Tiered decks offer tables and chairs. On the lower level is the one pool on-board which is surrounded by tables under shade where it is possible to eat outside.
Suites and Cabins.
The refit introduced balcony cabins to the Minerva in the form of 2 Owner’s Suites, Deluxe Balcony Suites and Balcony Suites. There are also many outside and interior cabins.
The video tour shows the small ship experience with “country house style”. In another article on Swan Hellenic Minerva, I will share more details and observations about the ship and cruise line – along with tips and advice on who this is best suited for, what you can expect and how to get the most from travelling with them.