I am a massive cruising fan, and so have a lot of resources, reviews, videos, audio podcasts and articles about cruises and cruising. I have been on over 60 cruises, and have many more booked. I am also the author of The Cruise Traveler’s Handbook, Cruising with Cunard, Cruising with MSC Cruises, River Cruising Tips and others, run and host the Essential Cruise Tips Podcast and also am a regular guest on various shows talking about cruising. The blog has won numerous cruise awards including from CLIA (Cruise Line Association) and Cruise International Magazine.
There are many cruise tips articles on the blog, but I tend to focus more on videos about cruising. I get around 700,000 video a views a month now (34 million all time) on my Tips For Travellers YouTube Channel. Please subscribe to the Tips For Travellers YouTube Channel and every week you will be alerted of the new video of tips and advice to help traveller like you make the most of their precious travel time and money.
Watch My Most Popular First Time Cruising Tips Videos
Watch My Most Popular Cruise Line Overview Videos
Watch My Most Popular River Cruise Line Overview Videos
Watch my Most Popular Cruise Ship Tour videos
Watch My Most Popular River Cruise Tips Videos
If you have a topic you would like me to cover about cruising, email me or leave a comment!
Feature Pages by Cruise Line
I have a number (and growing) collection of feature pages on different cruise lines and ships. They curate all the videos, audio podcasts, images and articles I have done about the ships or cruise line. they include:
Ocean Cruse Lines:
- Crystal CruisesCroisiEurope Loire Princesse
- Cunard Cruise Line
- Fred Olsen Cruises and Fred Olsen Balmoral
- Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam, Westerdam
- MSC Cruises: MSC Divina, MSC Lirica, MSC Preziosa , MSC Armonia
- Norwegian Cruise Line: Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway
- P&O Cruises: Arcadia, Aurora, Britannia
- Ponant Cruises
- Princess Cruises
- Royal Caribbean
- Seabourn Cruises: Seabourn Encore, Seabourn Sojourn
- Silversea Silver Whisper, Silver Muse
- Silversea Silver Explorer
- Windstar Star Breeze, Windstar Star Pride
River Cruise Lines:
- CroisiEurope Loire Princesse
- Emerald Waterways
- Titan MS Serenade 1
- Uniworld River Cruises: River Beatrice Danube, Venice & Gems of Northern Italy
Cruise Tips and Advice: Before You Go On A Cruise
- Why and when cruising is a better alternative to a land based vacation. The case for taking a cruise and when It will be better than taking a more traditional trip to destination on land.
- The main types and destinations for cruises. The main types of cruises, and the order that I think you should consider taking them in – and why!
- 11 common cruise mistakes to avoid. The things that most people get wrong or do not spend enough time on planning when going on a cruise.
- Top Four Tips For Choosing The Perfect Cruise. Four key things to focus on to ensure you find the perfect cruising experience for you.
- My 16 top tips for first time cruisers. Based on my experience, and from discussions with people new to cruising, I provide the 16 ultimate tips on choosing, making the most of and getting the best out of your first cruise.
- My 12 tips for choosing and making the most of a Transatlantic Crossing or Repositioning Cruise. I am a big fan of crossing the Atlantic by ship. These are the tips and learning from the many times I have taken that journey. A Crossing is the Ultimate Cruise Journey!
- Caribbean Cruising. First I have advice on What to Expect When Cruising the Caribbean, which provides a general overview and some advice. Then I have an article on the 6 Ultimate Tips for Anyone Cruising The Caribbean.
- Cruising the Mediterranean. Tips and advice on exploring Europe.
- Cruising the Norwegian Fjords: My Ultimate Tips. One of the most stunning areas of the world to cruise is the Norwegian Fjords, and this is my ultimate guide to ensure you get to see the best there is.
- Cruising with Disabilities. Tips and advice for travellers with special needs and wheelchair users.
- World and Extended Voyage planning tips and advice on how to get the most from the trip.
- 10 best ways to keep updated on all things cruising. My favourite cruise communities, podcasts, cruise magazines, cruise smartphone apps, travel fairs, cruise books, ship tours, cruise blogs and cruise agent.
- Best Cruises And Cruise Lines For Families and Multi-Generational Cruises. What and who are the ones to consider and why?
Cruise tips and advice: budgeting and saving money
- How to get the best fare for a cruise. These are my tips on ensuring that you pay the best price for a cruise, with a focus on getting the best overall cost – and not just the lowest “headline” fare.
- Budgeting for a cruise. The three key areas to focus on and what to watch out for and why.
- 18 ways to save money while on a cruise. My tips and tricks on how to save money without compromising having a great vacation when cruising.
- How to save money on shore excursions. In this article I explore all the options and help guide you to find the best excursions and save money at the same time.
- Cruise contract watch-outs and tips. You need to be aware of what you are agreeing to when you book and pay for a cruise. It could save you money and also ensure you are better protected and prepared.
- Solo Traveller Tips: How To Avoid Single-Occupancy Supplements. The best ways to reduce the cost when travelling alone.
- Should You Pay Cruise Gratuities? 6 things you need to know about and consider before deciding to pay them or nor.
Planning for your cruise once booked
- What to pack and what to leave at home. A packing list and advice.
Cruise Tips and Advice: On-Board and During The Cruise
- Considerations before deciding which and how many excursions to book on your cruise. Some tips and advice on things to ask yourself before you make bookings and incur costs
- Dealing with seasickness – tips and advice
- Norovirus. Everything You Need to Know. Keeping Norovirus at bay, and Cruising with a Norovirus out-break on-board – what it is like.
- What are the Friends of Dorothy and Friends of Bill meetings on-board – and should you be going? They appear on many cruise ship daily programs. To ensure you do not make a mistake and end up at something that is not for you this article looks at the history of them – and what they are. (Dorothy is for gay passengers, and Bill for members of the AA).
- Importance of community in cruising. Cruise Critic meet-ups on board.
- Cunard Behind-the-Scenes Tour Review and Photos. This costs at least $120 and at most 20 people can go per excursion run on sea days. What will you see, and is it worth doing?
- The history of afternoon tea – on land and at sea. This article explores the very English tradition of afternoon tea on land, and how the cruise industry – and Cunard in particular – has taken on the tradition.
- What will a cruise ship butler do for you? 10 things you should expect based on an interview with Thierry Fnu, the Head Butler on MSC Preziosa
- Are low wages and poor conditions for cruise crew funding lower fares for passengers, and something cruise passengers need to be more aware of? This article explores the topic on wages and conditions on-board, and explores the debate from both sides.
- Shopping in the Caribbean while on a cruise: Shopping in the Caribbean – Observations and Impressions and My Top Tips for Shopping Duty Free and Tax Free in the Caribbean while cruising
- Ocean versus river cruising. 10 key things everyone should know.
- Compare River Cruise Lines: Video overviews of Tauck, Scenic, Uniworld, Amadeus and CroisiEurope. One-minute video tours I have made of these five major cruise lines.
- River Cruising vs. Ocean Cruising, The key differences and what the implications are.
- River Cruising Advice and Tips. The most asked questions answered – including who it is for, best cabin to chose and is it really quiet and sedate?
- European River Cruising Tips and Tricks. Advice and tips on planning and getting the most from a river cruise in Europe.
- 9 Reasons to do a European River Cruise. Things to consider before you do a river cruise in Europe.
Cruising Articles I Contributed To
I often write for or give tips in cruising articles for a wide range of publications. Here are some of them:
- Is Seine River Cruise Best Way To See Paris?
- River Cruises: Asia Versus Europe (ROLCruise)
- Why Cruising Is Better Than Flying (ROLCruise)
- Top 10 Cruise Tips (Cruise International)
- Cruising With Kids Tips (Jetline Cruise)
- 10 Essentials To Take In Your Bag On A Shore Excursion (Cruise1st)
- Ultimate Guide To Cruise Freebies (Cruise1st)
- 15 tips on how to save money on a cruise (Cruiseable)
- Tips for planning a world cruise or extended voyage (Cruiseable)
- 6 reasons why a cruise beats out a land vacation (Cruiseable)
- Are you and cruising a good fit? (Cruiseable)
- 5 cruise myths busted (Cruiseable)
- What is there to do at night on a cruise? (Cruiseable
- How to choose the right shore excursions (Cruiseable)
- Should You book a shore excursion with the cruise line? (Cruiseable)
- Being a respectful cruise passenger (Cruiseable)
- Theme cruises and charters (Cruiseable)
General Cruising Articles
- The future of cruising. The view of Cruise Line CEOs versus Travellers. My thoughts on what travellers want in the future – versus what I heard cruise CEOs think the future is.
- What is the future of cruising? A look at factors and issuing facing cruising and its growth.
If you enjoyed this post:
- Follow Tips For Travellers on: YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
- Sign up for the monthly newsletter. includes a free eBook to download every month.
- Never miss a post by signing up for the Latest Tips For Travellers email.